In 2010 TWS were contacted by Killone Group water scheme. The group required TWS to waterproof a reservoir in the area. It was constructed in 1979 and was built on a hill in the centre of the area where it supplied the water. Its main source was Killone Lake and through means of a pressure system the water was pumped to the reservoir which in turn stored the treated drinking water for human consumption. If the problems with the reservoir could not be resolved then the people in the local area would have no supply of drinking water.

Due to the age of the reservoir itself the work that needed to be carried out to ensure the safety of those consuming the water was quiet substantial. There were extensive leaks in the walls through the joints between the planks and because of this there was widespread cracking in the walls which in turn caused a huge loss of water. This in turn caused huge costs to occur for the scheme.

Due to the fact the previous winter was so bad the water in the reservoir froze causing it to fracture and this meant that parts split on the exterior of the tank. In order to fix this the tank had to be sealed both inside and out. In order to do this successfully the tank first had to be emptied and then dried with industrial dryers. Waterproofing products were then applied to the reservoir which would help in preventing further corrosion. This was less expensive to complete and also less time consuming as the alternative was to build a new reservoir.

The structure was built with a concrete base and the walls were constructed from concrete planks that were 250mm wide and 3.5m high. They were supported on the outside with three concrete ring beams. The reservoir was 10m in diameter, 3.5m high and was able to withstand a volume of 285cu m. The roof was also made of concrete planks which were sustained by beams and two rows of concrete within both on the internal and external walls with a concrete slab cast on the top. Water going into the reservoir was contaminating water already inside and this would become worse over time.

Maintenance would need to be less frequent and easier to carry out and this was the most cost effective way for the water group to go with. Work began at 08.30am on Tuesday 24th August 2010 and completed on Friday 27th August 2010 at lunchtime meaning the job only took three and a half days to complete. The reservoir was refilled after lunch and tests that were carried out show that the job was successful and the water was now fit for human consumption.

Join us on Facebook